You need to renew a current ECS card before it expires. Ideally, you should start the renewal process 3 months before your card is due to expire. The renewal process is simple and the quickest and easiest way to do this is online. You need to log into your MyECS portal. If you don’t have an account, you should register with ECS which allows you not only to renew your card but also to check the progress of your application online.
However, first make sure your ECS Health, Safety and Environment Assessment is valid which can be done on your portal. If it is no longer valid, you must book an ECS Test to meet any new ECS card requirements. This needs to be done as soon as you can before your current card expires. The cost of a Health, Safety and Environment Assessment is currently £22.
If your Health, Safety, and Environment Assessment is still valid, all you need to do is upload any new qualifications you gained since you last applied for a card before completing your ECS card renewal application.
Check whether any requirements have changed
It’s important to check whether any new requirements are needed since you applied for your last ECS card. If there are new requirements, make sure you submit all the relevant information when filling out the online form. If you are happy with all the information you’ve submitted, the next step is to click the ‘Finalise’ tab to complete your ECS card renewal application.
What happens if My ECS Card expires?
If there is less than 3 months left on your ECS card, you need to renew it using the standard method.
Do I need 18th edition to renew my ECS card?
As of 1st January 2020, registered electricians must hold the BS7671:2018 (18th Edition) qualification to renew their ECS cards.
How long does will it take to renew my ECS card?
It takes about 2-3 weeks to complete the renewal process when you submit the correct details and no further investigation is needed to complete your application.
Can I carry out any electrical work without 18th edition?
If you do not hold the 18th Edition, your cardholder status will revert back to a standard Installation or Maintenance Electrician card.
Is it possible to do my 18th edition online?
The course is available online or in person for one day in a classroom. However, you will still need to take the full two hour summative assessment of the full content of Regulations.
ECS card renewal cost
The ECS card renewal cost is currently £30 plus VAT. However, if a company is a JIB Member, the cost of renewal is £20 plus VAT. You are directed to payment page when you renew your CSE card online. Payment methods include debit and credit cards.
What is the ECS card renewal contact number?
The ECS card renewal contact number for England, NI, and Wales is 01322 661622.
Can I renew a JIB-PMES CSCS card online?
You can renew your card by filling out the JIB card renewal form online, or you can opt to fill out a hard copy renewal form. If you are an existing card holder you must provide the following information when you renew your card:
- The completed renewal form whether hard copy or online
- A passport-sized colour photo (current)
- Proof that you passed an acceptable Health & Safety test within the last two years
- If applicable the JIB-PMES renewal fee
What is a jib gold card status?
Holding a gold card shows that you’ve completed a formal competency based qualification which is regulated by the industry. It includes the technical theory with both the competency and practical assessments.
How long is a jib gold card valid for?
JIB gold cards are valid for 3 years and once the card is issued it shows your competency.
Do I need 18th edition to renew a gold card?
As of 1st January 2019, new applications for gold cards must have 18th Edition without which their Registered Electrician status would be removed.
How do I obtain an electrician gold card?
To acquire a JIB Gold Card, you must first achieve a Level 3 NVQ in an electrotechnical field. However, an equivalent qualification will can be accepted which includes a historical qualification that is recognised as an equivalent to an NVQ Level 3 or a formal UK electrotechnical apprenticeship
ECS card renewal checklist
- Register a MyECS account if you don’t already have one. You can then renew your card online and track the renewal progress from your MyECS portal. You will find any messages regarding your card which includes things like new criteria or whether a renewal with an ECS partner organisation is required on your MyECS
- Check qualification requirements. Criteria from some ECS cards changed so it’s important to make sure you have met the requirements of your card. When you change your ECS occupation or JIB Grade, you must show you have gained the qualifications for the occupation or the grade. You can upload proof of your new or updated qualifications as scans, or as digital images making sure they are of a good quality. You won’t be able to renew a card without the necessary proof needed for a specific card so it’s important to have everything ready before you begin the process
- Make sure you have met the Health & Safety requirements which you can do either by taking the ECS Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment. You could be exempt if you hold or a taking another qualification for the specific card you hold. You can check if you are exempt by viewing the list of exemptions
Make sure you provide the following information when you renew your ECS card:
- Apprenticeship papers (copy)
- Copies of all your certificates and qualifications
- References from employers confirming experience and job title
- 18th edition qualification (BS7671:2018) – if you have obtained it
- Passport size photo
- Completed renewal form
- Completed ECS H&S Assessment application form
- Copy of current H&S qualification certificate (listed on ECS H&S Exemption List)